Friday, September 11, 2009

Fall

I don't think that Fall used to come as fast as it does now. Not just in Wyoming, but it seems like the summer always flies by and then before you know it the air starts to feel just a little bit more crisp. And it is September, so it makes sense that it would start to be Fall. Maybe Labor Day marks the beginning of Fall? I don't know. But what I do know is that I love Fall. Maybe it goes back to my days of playing football in Junior High and High School, being able to be outside a lot during that time, and my love of football.
But the first time I distinctly remember loving the Fall was my freshman year of college. I was driving home to Haviland with my windows down, and the crisp air was completely refreshing after a week of classes. Then I pulled onto the dirt road that I grew up on, and saw all the combines and graincarts and semi trucks lined up on the side of the road. They were in the middle of Corn Harvest. The smells, noises, and sights seemed to fill me up. And it hit me in that moment that I love the Fall.
Since then, I totally look forward to every Fall. There is just something about it, the leaves starting to change color, and the biggest thing is the air. It just feels more alive; makes me feel more alive.
So here's to Fall! You have finally been honored for all that you are!

1 comment:

Audrey said...

remember that you like bacon too!