Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Linda K. Woody Memorial 5k Race Report


July 4th started off with driving to Mountain View, Wyoming to participate in the Linda K. Woody Memorial 5k Fun Run. We found out about this race last week, and since it was close to us decided to give it a shot. The weather was overcast and cool - just about perfect to run in. The race started at 8:00 a.m. and we rolled into the parking lot about 7:30 a.m. Enough time to get our bib numbers, put on our shoes, go to the bathroom, and head to the start line.
There was probably only about 50 or so other runners so we figured we had a good shot at being towards the top. They director yelled, "Go!", and we were off. At a 5k everyone takes off way faster than they should, including me... I guess I get caught up in it all too. But Audrey starts more conservatively, so I hung with her and didn't wear myself out in the first 1/2 mile. There were about 8 people in front of us that we started to pick off methodically. We passed 4 of them and the ones ahead of us (Cross Country High School Boys) had about 30 seconds on us.
At this point I thought I might be able to catch them, so I sped up some and stayed about 30 seconds ahead of Audrey the entire rest of the race. Needless to say this is how it ended. I was 5th overall; 2nd in my age division from 18-30, and Audrey was first female overall! and 6th overall total.
I finished in 20:09 and Audrey came in roughly at 20:30. After the race was over we grabbed postcards that I made up for the Burn Your Lungs Run and put them on all the cars that were parked there. Hopefully some of those people will come up and run in our race!
Where we really did good was with the awards. Since Audrey was 1st place she won a new pair of sunglasses; a $100 gift card to Amazon; a hydration pack; and a medal. And for my 2nd place Age Division I won a medal; a small cooler; and waterproof backpacking sacks.
Totally worth the drive! And we made it home by 10:15 a.m. 
If you follow the link below it will take you to my Garmin Stats on the race. Time/Elevation/Splits/Etc...
Linda K. Woody Memorial 5k by roscol24 at Garmin Connect - Details

Audrey claiming her 1st place female prize.
Showing off her winnings!
Bling.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

all I do is win win win no matter what