Monday, November 17, 2008

sickness



I finally got sick... It has been at least a few years since I have been really sick. And even a few more years before that since my stomach decided to work in reverse mode.


But, this past Saturday the flu bug decided to unleash it's fury on my immune system. I subbed at the high school on Friday, and I think that I might have caught it there from all the kiddos. Saturday afternoon I started feeling sick, and took a nap from 4:30 until 5:30 p.m. I work at our Teen Center every Saturday night from 6:00 p.m. until midnight, so I decided I would try and go. I made it until 9:00 and couldn't handle it anymore. I felt horrible.


So I had to close the Teen Center early (the kids weren't too happy, but they got over it pretty quick). Got into bed at 9:30 and by 10:00 my stomach started working in reverse. It was one of the longest nights of my life.


I had to call our Elders on Sunday morning and let them know that I wouldn't be able to be at Church. Then Sunday ended up being one of the longest days of my life because all I could do was lay around.


Before Saturday I would think, "Oh it would be nice if I was sick, I could lay around, watch TV, and be a bum all day." The part that I forgot though was that you feel completely miserable the entire time, and it's not so much fun.


I think sin invades us that way sometimes. We think, "Oh it would be nice to do this or that, whatever I want." But then we forget how miserable we are afterward. We step outside of God's plan for our lives, and we get beat up. The same way I feel after being sick; beat up.


Our problem is that we forget. We forget how horrible sin really is, we forget the consequences, and we only remember the "instant gratification". Like being sick, we forget the part about how bad we feel, and we remember or even trick ourselves into thinking that we can get a day off and not have to do anything.


Don't believe it! Being sick stinks. If you haven't been sick in a while, and you are thinking it might be nice, let me tell you that it's not.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Great analogy. Preach a sermon on it!

Anonymous said...

dude! that sucks! last time i got sick like that i was home alone for 3 days while my family was in vegas. megan had to come take care of me at 2 in the morning. she almost took me to the ER.
i hope your better now.
and as for Audrey's comment, don't do the sermon please.

oh yeah, start reading pretty little liers today cuz i'm starting on the bible tonight probly.