Saturday, April 23, 2011

Busyness & Stress = Running Killers

I'm not sure how everyone's week has gone, but as for me it has been one of the busiest and mentally exhausting weeks I've ever had. Not to mention emotional pain as well. Let me start off by letting you know that for Pastors the Easter Week is probably the busiest of the year. Sure, Christmas is a busier time than most, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Easter Week.
There are Good Friday Services, Sunrise Services, Resurrection Services; and even others in some cases; Maunday Thursday Services, Communion Services, Palm Sunday... This is just my viewpoint here, from a Pastors perspective: This is too many services. I know that they are all tradition and they all hold their important place in the Easter Week, but for me, by the time Sunday rolls around I feel more burnt out than joyous that Christ rose from the dead. (Which is an amazing event!!!)
So, not only have I been gearing up for all these different things all week, but there was a man that went to the Church that I am a Pastor of who died. I had the mixed emotions and feelings of walking with the family through this tragic event, and at the same time being honored that I would be able to bring the funeral message. All in all this has been a very exhausting week.
And I've still tried to have some semblance of my running schedule, which let me tell you hasn't worked at all. I ran 2 miles on Monday, 1.5 miles on Tuesday (I quit after this far because I could just not get my head in the right place to run), took Wednesday off, ran 2 miles on Thursday, 4 miles on Friday, and 2 miles today. Pretty pathetic compared to my normal weekly running routine.
Which leads me to my title: Busyness and Stress are running killers, not to mention killers of other things in life as well. Killers of sleep, of relationships, of eating healthy, of self care. The list could go on and on and on. I guess I'm just venting out my frustrations with it. In the words of someone wiser than me, "You must ruthlessly eliminate busyness from your life."

3 comments:

Monica said...

Even though I'm at the beginning of my new lifestyle and I only walk not run at this point, I can totally sympathize with where you are! I love the idea of "ruthlessly eliminating busyness out of your life" & when you figure out how to do that share will ya? Sorry about the emotional pain as well. That cannot be easy. Prayers are with you!

Audrey said...

From a pastor's wife's perspective, It ridiculous to try and be happy about Easter when you never even get to SEE your husband. "Easter Tradition, Please go away and come back with one that actually makes sense." Sincerely Audrey

Kelly said...

I must admit, that even though I would not ask my husband to pass on his calling to be a pastor, there are times (especially Easter time) that I wish my hubby could "just sit and enjoy it all with me from the pew". That being said, my husband does an excellent job of bringing God's word to His people and I know there isn't anyone else I would rather listen to Easter morning! You have a high calling Jadon and I have no doubt that you give it your all every Sunday! :) And I completely understand what this post was about...VENT away! You definitely need to be able to do that, just my thoughts after reading your post and probably a way of reminding myself of the rewards that will come from this pain. Love you guys!!!