Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"Financial Peace Revisited" By Dave Ramsey

I just finished "Financial Peace Revisited" By Dave Ramsey. Audrey and I are enrolled in the "Financial Peace University" Class that we as a Church have offered to our community, and one of the assignments in the class is to read the book.
We meet every Tuesday night, watch an hour long DVD presentation by Dave Ramsey, and then we split off into small groups and talk about how things are going for each one of us. It has been pretty good so far, and we have a lot of people from the community in the class, I think around 25 family units at least.
The book builds on the principles that Dave lays out during the DVD sessions, and technically we are supposed to skip around to different chapters in the book depending on what DVD session we are on, but I am to much of an a to b, b to c, c to d, person to do that. When I pick up a book, I'm going to read it cover to cover.
I even do this with magazines, to my wife's amazement who looks at all the pictures first then goes back to read the articles that interest her. I have to move through the magazine from the front to the back, keeping my place so I can pick up where I left off.
So, back to the book. Ramsey is a pretty good author and throws enough stories, personal and from people who call in on his radio show, to keep things interesting. The first thought that came to my mind when I decided to read the book was, "Honestly, how is this going to keep me interested?" But, it did for the most part. There were a few areas that didn't apply so I skimmed over them pretty quick.
If you are in a place financially where you don't think you can get out, then you need to read this book and find a Financial Peace University Class where you live, or if you want a better handle on your finances then I would suggest doing the same. The principles and ideas are right on point. The only hard part is implementing them into your life.
So far things have gone pretty well. I think that's because we have the accountability of all the other people in the class. If I was trying to do this on my own, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't last. Also, if I had just picked up the book without all the other information in the class I doubt that I would be in as good a place as I am right now with it all.
So if you want a challenge to change the way you handle your money and live your life, then I would say read the book. If you are not ready to change how you spend money then you would be wasting your time if you read it.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Also, he gives out free "Ramsey Grahams" as part of the program. We all like free things :-)