Saturday, March 5, 2011

Gearing Up For The Antelope Island Buffalo Run 25k

Audrey & I are looking forward to our next race, The Antelope Island Buffalo Run.We did the 25k last year, and it was our first real "trail" race. I kind of surprised Audrey with it, and she didn't really know what she was in for. She hated me for a while during the run, even contemplating just sitting down on the edge of the trail, but she cowgirled up and finished strong. Directly after the race was over she said, "I'm never doing that run again!" I didn't say anything at the time, I have learned when to keep my mouth shut, and after we had some lunch she came around and said, "I think I could beat my time next year." 
So we are signed up again! 1,900 ft. of elevation gain over 15.5 miles, single track trail, buffalo to watch out for, views of the Great Salt Lake and the Wasatch Mountain Range. You couldn't ask for much more. I'm am looking forward to the race this year, and since I am planning on running an ultra this year on trails, this will be a kind of starting point in that journey. 
Map Of The 25k Course

25k Elevation Profile
I will be taking my camera with me this year and plan on posting quite a few pictures on my race report. As you can see from the elevation profile mile 7-9 is killer! I really had a blast at this race last year, and I hope the weather is good.
I was out doing my run yesterday, more of a fun run than serious training once I saw a snow machine path heading up Oyster Ridge. I guessed that it would be packed enough for me to run on, since everywhere else up there was covered in at least 6 ft. of snow. And I guessed right. I headed up and ran into 5 mule deer, plenty of snow, and sunshine. I figured it would be a good little piece of uphill training for Antelope Island. Basically straight up till I turned around and then straight back down. I only postholed a couple of times, and it was a blast running back down.


For a 3.5 mile run from the front door of my house and 500 ft. of elevation gain in the middle of winter with 6 ft. of snow all around, I'd say not a bad little run. Hopefully I can get out there a couple of more times with a little longer trip up before Antelope Island.


1 comment:

Audrey said...

I think I hated you from mile 3 till mile 13....I mean 15.5 - surprise!

Thanks for the elevation forewarning, holy cow - I knew it was gruelling but didn't know it was that bad.

I'll try and "cowgirl" up again - that's what she said.