Friday, March 4, 2011

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy


I'm a pretty avid reader, and it seems like once I get on a roll I can go through quite a few books in a relatively short period of time. Especially if they are books that grab my attention. I just finished Cormac McCarthy's book, "The Road" and considering my last post was a book review and it was just about a week ago I'd say I made it through this one pretty fast. I think I actually started it last Friday.
McCarthy has a distinct way that he writes, kind of disjointed. I have also read "No Country For Old Men" which I think is a better book than "The Road". But that's not what this post is about. "The Road" is about a father and son who are living in the post-apocalyptic future. Their entire world is cold, burned, and ashen. It is the story of their survival. They have to search for food, shelter, and safety. Always on the lookout for bandits and thieves. It brings up questions about life, God, morals, and it explores the relationship between the father and the son in the middle of all these horrible things that they have to go through. That is probably the best part about the book.
It was a pretty easy read, entertaining, but not the best book I've read. Probably somewhere in the middle.

No comments: