Friday, March 25, 2011

A Conglomeration Of Happenings

It has been a while since I have blogged about life. And I guess I have been not really wanting to write anything because it seemed like there was nothing exciting going on. But my reason for having this blog isn't to just write about exciting things in life. So here goes with a smattering of things from the past week or so.

I'll start with today since it is the most fresh in my mind. I did something that was a first for me today. I attended a webinar. You know, a seminar that is held on the web, a webinar. When I first told Audrey about it she laughed and said, "They really call them that?" I said, "Yes, they sound very sophisticated, and only sophisticated people are asked to join them." Anyway the really cool webinar was hosted by the Rocky Mountain District (RMD) of the Evangelical Free Church of America (EFCA) and I participated on my Acer Laptop (ALP) while I was in my Church Office (CO). Catching a drift of acronyms? (CADOA?) The topic was reaching out and meeting needs in your community. There is a program called Blessings in a Backpack, and the idea behind it is to provide food for the weekends for kids who aren't able to get it at home. On Friday afternoons all the kids who are in the program receive a backpack full of enough food for the weekend. Pretty cool idea if you ask me. And only $80 bucks per kid for a school year's worth of food. This definitely is a possibility for our Church.

I am ready to race this weekend. It has been kind of a weird week for running. I haven't ran near as much as I would have liked to, but I guess that happens sometimes. One of the great things is that Audrey and I run basically all of our races together and we train together as well. And then on the other hand if something happens to one of us, such as an injury, then we join them in their healing process. That being said, Audrey has sustained some foot pain for the past week, so it has hindered our training. We even swam on Tuesday, and if you don't know how much I am NOT a swimmer you can read about it here. I also took today off from any sort of exercise, I felt sluggish and worn out. But that doesn't make sense to me now because it's 2 a.m. and I have a serious case of insomnia. Which NEVER HAPPENS TO ME! So I'm pretty baffled by that.

I am also looking forward to wearing my new trail shoes (Brooks Cascadia 6) farther than 4 miles. Since it is still half snow/half slush, all wet and muddy here in Wyoming I haven't had the chance to take them out very much. My only worry is that I don't get blisters. Antelope Island has quite a bit of sand in some parts of the trail, and if you get a bunch down in your shoes you either stop and dump it all out or you have about 15 different hot spots from all the tiny pebbles.

In Church we are going through a sermon series on Habakkuk. If you haven't read it, you should, and if you have you should read it again. It's a pretty good one. On one hand you can totally relate, because Habakkuk is questioning God with circumstances in his life that don't make sense. But then you get to chapter 3, which we will be studying this Sunday, and doing what Habakkuk does makes it really hard. He says that he is going to rejoice even when he doesn't have anything to rejoice about. He is going to rejoice even when things in his life are going horribly. This is not an easy task. Because when things are bad we want to be down, depressed, angry, and hurt. We don't want to have understanding, or to be rejoicing, looking at the bigger picture of life.

So there you have it. The uneventful things of this week. Oh, I finished our taxes today. Cleaned out our dog kennel, which hadn't been cleaned all winter - let me tell you, two dogs go to the bathroom a lot during the winter. I'm currently reading Dave Ramsey's book Financial Peace Revisited. That's it.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

"One of the great things is that Audrey and I run basically all of our races together and we train together as well. And then on the other hand if something happens to one of us, such as an injury, then we join them in their healing process" - THIS IS JUST ONE OF THOUSANDS OF REASONS WHY YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND AND I LOVE YOU SO SO MUCH!!!! THANKS FOR SWIMMING FOR ME!!!