Sunday, June 26, 2011

Park City Mini Trail Series Race Report

 On Saturday Audrey and I ran in the Park City Mini Trail Series 5k put on by R-U-N? Events. They do 3 different trail races during the summer; a 5k, 10k, and 15k. Last summer we did the 15k, and Audrey was one of the female winners which won her a free entry into this year's 5k. So we decided we better run it since it was free for Audrey.
The race started at 8:00 a.m. and we showed up around 7:00 a.m. to get our bib numbers and everything else squared away. One of the cool things was that Pearl Izumi was allowing runners to demo their new trail shoe; the Peak II. So, I figured I would run the race in them!

5k's are over so fast that you don't really have time to conjure up a race plan. You just go out hard and basically kill yourself until it's over. At least that's what I did with this race anyway. The lead group of guys was about 30-50 yards ahead of me after about a mile when my shoe came untied (stupid new shoes!), so I did a quick stop and retied it, leaving me no chance to catch them, but I was sitting with a good cushion behind me so no one passed me.
The rest of the race went well. I finished 8th overall and 2nd in my Age Division. Audrey came in pretty stinkin close behind me and she was the first female to cross the finish line which netted her a $50.00 gift certificate to Salt Lake Running Co.
And my 2nd place Age Division netted me a sweet water bottle....
 We also got a couple of post race massages for free.


1 comment:

Audrey said...

honestly, why do races directors even spend money on water bottles, they really are a pointless prize unless they are a nalagene or something.