Friday, June 24, 2011

Ross completes national personal trainer certifcation (The Other Ross That Is!)

Modified: Thursday, Jun 23rd, 2011






By Nancy Banister

Gazette Reporter

It took more than 14 months of studying and testing, but local marathon runner, Audrey Ross is now a certified personal trainer. She grew up in Rock Springs and has a Bachelor’s of Art degree in youth ministry from Barclay College.

“I knew I wanted to go back to school in health and fitness,” Ross said. “I wasn’t sure where I wanted to go.”

According to Ross, the Obama administration was giving financial incentives to women wanting a higher education. “That is how we were able to afford it.”

Ross had to decide where to study and daily travel to Utah wasn’t high on her list, especially during the winter months.

“I took the online course for my certification from Penn-Foster,” Ross said. “I always had a professor to talk to and ask any question any hour of the day.”

“The hardest part of the certification program was my Anatomy and Physiology class, but the nutrition class was a breeze,” she said.

Ross graduated with a 97 percent and received her certificate June 6.

Her certification encompasses all aspects of fitness, including nutrition. The Penn Foster program is affiliated with the National Council on Strength and Fitness. The certificate from NCSF will give her the ability to practice in different states

To keep her certification with NCSF, Ross will have to re-certify every three years, but Ross doesn’t want to stop there.

“I hope to continue in my education and learn more,” she said.

She looks to further her education with more certificates like National Exercise and Sports Trainer Association, the American Fitness Association of America and AFPA.

“The more education I get the better I can serve my clients,” Ross said.

She wants to see more people learn about improving their health, not only exercise, but also nutrition.

“One thing I have learned through my studies is that I have been running the wrong way,” Ross said.

Ross has been a distance runner for a long time and has suffered from IT Band Syndrome. She has realized that the problem, the painful tightening of a “band” across the knee, was caused by how she ran.

“Once I started training myself to run correctly, I don’t have the knee problems as before,” Ross said.

She also knows that clients are more successful when exercising outside the home. She would prefer a different place, or even outside, for her clients to keep a regular fitness schedule. Ross has worked very hard for over a year to receive this certification and has decided to take the summer off, but she has a few clients.

“I am not sure what I want to do yet, but I am praying about it,” she said.

She would like to incorporate her knowledge of health and fitness with a ministry.

“There is such a need in the ministry for being aware of your health,” Ross said.

According to Ross, many ministers have stress and heart problems and the proper diet and exercise can help.She knows that having too many clients will prevent her from one of her personal goals, to run in the Boston Marathon. She will work with the personal goals of each client.

“I want my clients to understand the importance of the right kind of exercise and how what you eat is a large part of a healthy lifestyle,” Ross said.

Until the time is right for her to start her business, whether she works independently or with a group, look for Ross along the road as she trains for the next qualifying marathon.

1 comment: