Monday, January 24, 2011

Pinedale Indoor Triathlon Report

Well, it appears that I do know what I'm talking about. The swim portion of the Triathlon was a total bomb! I got beat by a man in his late 60's possibly 70's. But we will get to that humiliating portion of the report later.
Audrey and I left for Pinedale around 10:30 a.m. planning to stop at the health foods store and the Wind River Brewing Company, a great place to get some food and a cool atmosphere. The Triathlon started at 12:00 with different groups beginning at half hour intervals. Our start time wasn't scheduled until 2:30.
The roads were great and we arrived in plenty of time to get everything done before we checked in. The Pinedale Aquatic Center sponsored the Triathlon. They have a very nice facility. In our 2:30 group there were 7 people participating at the same time. The swim portion was first and I knew that I wasn't going to fair very well. We had 15 minutes to swim as many laps as possible. The horn blew and everyone took off, and I tried to keep up for about the 1st half of a lap and quickly realized that wasn't going to work. The rest of the time I spent switching from breast stroke, doggy paddle, backstroke, you name it I tried it. I am not a swimmer. I finished 8 laps in the 15 minutes. One guy finished 32 laps in the same time period. He is a fish.
I was glad that the swim portion was over, now I had to try and make up a little ground on the bike and the run. We had to be transported to another facility to use the bikes (I think they should move the bikes so you do all the events in one area). The bikes were supposed to be calibrated at the same resistance, but they weren't and the odometers were off, not giving an accurate reading of how far everyone went. That was a little bit frustrating. The bike part went decent; not that exciting to sit on a stationary bike and pedal as hard as you can for 20 minutes.
Finally we got to the run. I pretty much knew that there was no way I could make up enough ground that I lost on my swim, so my goal was to run the farthest out of anyone for the whole day. We ran inside on a track that is basically like the one at the Kemmerer Rec. Center. For my description of the Kemmerer Track and it being crowded link back to this blog post. Back to the race: The track is 1/15 of a mile, meaning you have to run 15 laps to equal a mile. We had a 15 minute time limit for this section as well.
I took off at a pretty fast pace and started lapping people after about the first 2 laps and that continued the entire time. There was one other guy there who I thought might be my competition, and he ran in an earlier heat. So I was cruising around by myself. Audrey was doing great as well, staying pretty close behind me. At one point I couldn't see her and thought that something happened, like she hurt her knee or something running on the curved track. When the end gun went off I had run 35 laps total - over 2.25 miles and I accomplished my goal of winning that portion. No one ran as far as I did.
Overall Audrey got 3rd in the 20-29 division - the swim really was the killer part. And I have no idea where I placed. But it was a lot of fun. Gave us a reason to get out of town on a Saturday and it was a great workout. We also got to talk to a few other people about the "Burn Your Lungs Run" on July 30th in Kemmerer.
Here are the official results with explanations as to how the points were given out. They didn't record the bike section of the race becuase the odometers were messed up.
http://www.pinedaleaquatic.com/thepac/Home_files/2011%20TRIATHLON%20RESULTS.pdf

1 comment:

Audrey said...

yes! HE WAS A FISH!!!!